For many of us, Mother’s Day comes out of nowhere. And then we’re left to try to get creative … past the normal card and flowers. Oftentimes that leads to Amazon > add to cart.
But, what if you could just as quickly shop at a small business instead? And get kudos from mom. This year I talked to about a dozen moms to hear what they really wanted for Mother’s Day this year.
Cue: my list of female-owned local places to support for Last Minute Mother’s Day Gifts as seen on Talk Pittsburgh.
1. love, Pittsburgh – Strip District, Mt. Washington, Downtown
One of my absolute favorite shops in the city, love, Pittsburgh features more than 120 local artists and makers. It’s a hub for all things beautiful. They recently opened a new location called love, just last week. Here are three great ideas of what you can snag.
- Self Care Set from Lovett Sundries – Peppermint Rosemary Hand Cream, Shampoo Bar, Lip Tint and more. All products are made with the cutest recyclable packaging. One mom said “I want the stuff they ask me for!” – and this is a great option.
- A Flora Frame from Moss and Fern Co – This company sources all of their botanicals from around their homes in the South Hills, and then preserves them naturally into art. “Flowers are great, but they don’t last”. Well … this solves that problem and provides a memory for much longer.
- Breakfast in Bed Trio “I want a breakfast or brunch I don’t have to plan, make or clean up from for once!”– Cue this breakfast in bed trio of Best Ever Granola, Maple Street Jam (a mother/daughter team) and Black Forge Coffee.
2. Flora Facial Bar – Wexford
The tough part about a facial, is that sometimes you want to do it with your mom. At Flora, they over signature service rooms – OR – their facial bar where you and mom can experience things together.
- Snag a gift certificate for you and mom to do a facial bar treatment together vs. separate treatment rooms – or for mom to be able to get away and enjoy a relaxing afternoon herself.
- Products so mom can take care of herself, and giving her the time for self care each morning or evening – if you have little ones, your kids can even do a spa day at home with the products you purchase.
- Monthly Subscription – For just $69/month, get mom a subscription to show you want her to be intentional all year with time for herself.
3. Soergel Orchards and Garden Center – Wexford
I personally love Soergel’s, and it just so happens to be owned by a mom and her kids! Kirstin inspired this one — a great experience that you can do with your kiddos and have a memory of all season long.
- Get flowers ahead of time, or go shopping together – then plant them together as a family.
- Wrap up a wind chime, stepping stone or other item for your outdoor space. Then mom can remember the day any time she is sitting outside!
- Pick up some baked goods – Soergel’s has a huge selection including, vegan, GF and nut free all from local bakers!
4. Kards Unlimited – Shadyside
If you haven’t been to Kards Unlimited yet, this is a place I could spend hours in just exploring. It’s the perfect budget friendly option too! Pick up a card that is perfect for your mama, some gift wrap and a game to enjoy together. They have everything from Scrabble to Yoga Dice.
“I just want special time together I don’t need to plan.”
5. Experiences Together
- P’Vino, Shadyside – Go in for a tasting with mom and then grab her favorite bottle of vintage wine or craft brew.
- The Cheese Queen, Allentown – Enroll in Charcuterie Academy or make sure mom always has a new cheese to try with Megan’s Charcuterie Subscription delivered straight to her door.
- Sempre Permanent Jewelry – Think of it as a special modern day friendship bracelet with mom! Snag sterling silver, gold filled or 14K gold.
6. Cleaning Maid Beautiful
There is nothing better than a deep cleaning for mom! Cleaning Maid Beautiful uses eco-friendly and non-toxic cleaning products.
And that’s a wrap! I hope you at least learned about one new female-owned local business, whether you shop for Mother’s Day or another special occasion. Remember: there is nothing wrong with treating yourself, too!
Want to take mom for brunch? Don’t miss that list over on my Instagram.